Friday, August 12, 2011

How do you pick a dentist?

I detest looking for a new dentist. I received a letter yesterday advising me that my dentist is quitting due to health reasons. I do not have dental insurance and have, unfortunately, found that many dentists appear to pad the bill or add unnecessary procedures with that assumption. I have also found practices that push specialty periodontal stuff when the dentist at the dental school says I absolutely need nothing like that. So, let's say I have trust issues due to bad experiences. Anyway, I'm on the search again and would like some tips. Oh, I have been going to Univ. of MN dental school, but I need some place much closer.
--------------------
Make a list of questions and ask for an interview appointment. If they don't have time for this, you don't need 'em. Also, ask your peers, co-workers etc for reccomendations. Here's a few suggestions; 1. Do you give cash discounts or have interest free payment plans? 2. Can you give me two or three references from currrent or former patients?(If they do, call them!) 3. Do you refer all specialty work such as peredontics, oral surgery etc? (If they try to do all this themselves, that's a red flag) 4. Do you utilize a formal marketing plan? (again, could be a red flag geared to marketing, not patient need) 5. Can I bring in my exrays from my former dentist to save money? I'm sure you can think of others. To me, the hygenist is more important than the choice of dentist. Be sure you have an experienced one who is focused on prevention rather than enhancement. You may have to make several trys to find the right person. I use a female dentist that gets tons of continuing education. She is always willing to answer questions without brushing me off. (no pun intended). Good luck! peace
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment