Friday, August 12, 2011

Should I seek a second opinion? I don't want to offend my new dentist....?

I'm away from home at college, & while I have a dentist at home, i'm having to go to a new dentist while away. My dentist is among those practicing in those dental chains (i.e. Castle dental),& I chose her because they offered a free exam&x-rays for first time patients,& since I pay out of pocket due to no dental insurance, this seemed like a good deal. Well, once I got there, they did the exam&x-rays,&then gave me a huge list of things I need to have done, totaling around $4,000 bucks. One high priced thing is some type of 2 part cleaning that I would have to make two visits for because apparently I might have gum disease. My regular dentist at home never mentioned anything to me about gum disease, so now i'm freaking out. I want to seek a second opinion but don't want to offend the dentist (i'm very non confrontational). Because of the low cost, i'd like to keep going, but how do I tell her if I don't want certain things done?
--------------------
Well I would certainly get a second opinion. If you do have a gum disease, it needs to be treated soon. If left untreated, you can lose your teeth. If you don't want a second opinion, just tell the new dentist you are unable to pay for all of that because of no insurance and you just want done what is absolutely necessary.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment