Friday, August 12, 2011

What are the typical stipends and benefits received during a Ph.D program?

Hi. I recently applied to a few Ph.D programs, and I am waiting for responses. I have been trying to research the universities' websites for health/dental insurance, stipend, and tuition/fee benefits descriptions, but they have been pretty vague for the most part. Most give full tuition and fees, but I'm curious about the stipends and insurance coverage. I'm married, and my wife and I both want kids in the near future. What is the typical insurance coverage for a Ph.D student? Can spouses and/or children get coverage as well? Also, what is the typical stipend or perhaps a general range that one can expect to receive? Thank you so much for all your help.
--------------------
Good question. I've been a PhD student for 5 years and I couldn't tell you what my insurance covers. I think I have a co-pay, and we just got dental last year, but no vision. I know I don't have to pay to see the doctors at our on-campus health center, and medications are cheap. Married friends of mine pay extra to cover their spouse; I think I pay about $700 a semester for my health coverage. That's out-of-pocket and not covered by your department.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment