Sunday, March 13, 2011

Can a hygienist put on a dental crown?

I felt a little uncomfortable with the 80lb hygienist practically laying on top of me, trying to put a crown back on my tooth. (I had the crown removed for a root canal.) I don't understand why, after paying so much money, the dentist couldn't put it in for me. The one who was supposed to put it in had to get the other hygienist to come in and help because she appeared to not know what she was doing. I live in Alabama, I have great dental insurance, and the dentist office appears to be one of the best in city. It seems like the dentist should put the crown in. Right?
--------------------
Definitely not! I believe the dental hygienist was outside of his or her scope of practice when putting the crown back on. Normally, The primary duties of the dental hygienist include cleaning and polishing teeth, instructing patients in good oral hygiene habits and after care for dental treatments rendered, and providing other preventative dental care, and work chairside as needed, with the dentist during examinations and treatments. They may also: •take X-rays •make molds for crowns and dental prosthetics •remove sutures •polish fillings and other metal restorations •take and record medical history and medication lists You should definitely get it checked to be sure it was done correctly!
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment