Thursday, March 17, 2011

Is it safe to have dental work done when pregnant?

Sorry, I just posted this in the dental section, and I'm not sure how many dentists really frequent it, but I'm sure pregnant women would be much more aware (or at least close to!) of the answer. So let me know if you know anything :-) Thanks! I'm not right now, but I miscarried 2 weeks ago, and I hear that you're very fertile after miscarry-ing (not to mention, now I at LEAST know that I can conceive, so hopefully soon) Problem is, I have a lot of dental work to take care of. Several cavities.. I just haven't had the time to mess with it, although I REALLY should while my husband is in the military and we have great dental insurance (up until next June anyways!) So, I was wondering, If I DO get pregnant again soon, is it safe to continue dental care? I'm hoping to get the X-Ray's out of the way before there is a chance of pregnancy, but as far as the actual work goes... is that ok? Usually, they just give you the local anesthesia (the numbing shot) Although, I have a fear of needles, ESPECIALLY when they're in my mouth, and it really worries me... so I generally use the happy gas (nitrous oxide). Is THAT safe? if not, I can go through it without it if for nothing but for the sake of the baby (that is if I am LUCKY enough to be pregnant again soon!) Thanks!
--------------------
Yes you can. I got dental work done early in pregnancy, including X-rays. They used a lead vest that covered me from the above the breasts, to my thighs to protect the rest of me and the baby from the x-ray. I did however get local anesthetic, and that was fine too. I don't believe gas is safe, because it'll cut off oxygen to the baby. I did get clearance from my OB to get dental work done, because I was worried about all the same things. Get going on your dental work now, so you don't have to worry, good luck.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment