Thursday, March 17, 2011

What dental procedures will I need (please read all)?

I am 20 years old and have never been to a dentist in my life. My parents never had dental insurance and I am currently on Medicaid. I was taught proper hygiene and even voted best smile in middle school despite never having a routine exam. However, here I am today at 20. My lateral incisors and two front teeth have begun to completely fall apart. Two of my molars have been eaten away by plaque, leaving large gaping holes and abscesses. I am sure that there are cavities elsewhere in my mouth (if not in ALL of my teeth). I have bad breath on a daily basis no matter how often I brush or rinse. When flossing, my teeth feel like they are going to crumble. Hypothetically, let's say that I need 10 extractions, 10 fillings, some root canals, and then I decide I want dental implants. How long will these procedures take (to have my mouth looking good again), and around how much will it cost?
--------------------
When I went to mine for the first time back in April, it had been 11 or 12 years since the last time I had set foot in a dentist's office. It can vary really on what your dentist suggests (you should really make an appointment with one), what your insurance covers, and how much you can afford to pay out of pocket. Most insurance companies will only cover a portion of dental work, usually routine cleanings, fillings, and other minor work. More major work (root canals, crowns, extractions, bridgework, etc.) may not be covered by your provider, or will only be covered partially, leaving you to pay the remainder out of pocket. Schedule an appointment with a dentist close to your home or work that is on your insurance plan. Make sure he or she knows you haven't been to a dentist at all. On your first visit, either the dentist him/herself or one of their assistants/technicians will begin cleaning your teeth. They will ask you if you've had any issues with your teeth (sensitivities to hot/cold foods, when you bite does it hurt, any pain during weather changes, etc.). After the technician has done the initial cleaning, the dentist will take a look in your mouth, and make a few notes. They may want to take X-Rays of your mouth as well. After all that is done, they may schedule another appointment at least a week or two after your first appointment. If they can make the decision right there, they will tell you what needs to be done, and will work with you to schedule the procedures in such a way so that they will become affordable. When my dentist looked in my mouth, after everything else had been done, he scheduled me to come in a couple of weeks later. When I went in, one of the assistants told me what all needed to be done. They had worked up two potential plans. First, they said that regardless of which plan I chose, I needed some fillings. Second, some of the teeth would have to come out completely. One of the plans involved a couple of extractions, some bridgework, root canals, crowns, fillings, and a partridge in a pear tree. The other plan involved just a few fillings, several extractions (about 11 or 12 teeth total), and partials. Both plans showed what the insurance would cover, and what I would have to pay out of pocket. The plan involving everything under the sun was to the tune of over $5,000. That's what I would have had to pay out of pocket. The other plan, dealing with extractions and partials, would only cost me $1,800. After talking it over with my parents, I wisely chose the extractions and partials. I had already intended on doing that one, since it was cheaper, and my dad had said it would be best because root canals and bridgework can go bad on down the road. Partials and extractions are easier to handle. So, I told them I wanted to do the extractions and partials. For the last few months they did the fillings, and today they did the first of what will be many extractions, and pulled only two teeth. I had one fall out about three or four weeks ago, and luckily it was one of the ones slated to be pulled. After all the teeth are pulled, I will be fitted for partials. Some dental clinics may offer payment plans and will work with you to make the necessary work affordable, where you can pay on a weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly basis. In short, make an appointment with your dentist, and see what he or she says.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment