Thursday, May 26, 2011

Deep dental cleaning question?

The dentist told me I needed a "deep" dental cleaning today which is covered by my insurance but the "most important part" is the antibiotic called Arestin which is not covered and will cost me $125 per tooth and I need 15 done of course. Anyway... the question is this; Is this Arestin mandatory to get a deep cleaning? This happens everytime I go to a dentist. It's more like a sales pitch where they try to jack as much money as they can out of me. This time, I honestly don't have the money to do this and I refuse to put it on credit. They try to push me on Care Credit as soon as I hesitated. Anyway...do I need this Arestin or is it just a sales pitch?
--------------------
I would go for the deep cleaning...but the antibiotic is not covered because it doesn't have a predictable outcome... I would do the cleaning then a follow up with the anitbiotic prescription mouth rinse Chlorhexidine Gluconate Oral rinse 0.12% (brand name Peridex) for 3 months(30 sec. rinse 2X day) and then have an evaluation at that time to see how the gums responded. I have found this is a good protocol and if you are under 40 will probably give a good result....over 40, when you re-eval, then see what happens.....
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment