Monday, May 9, 2011

Why do dentist always insist on extra work to be done on your teeth?

I just wanna get my teeth cleaned & dentist's always try & tell me they wont clean my teeth unless i do other unnecessary work on my teeth. Is that what they teach them in dental school 101, to run up the dental office visits to charge the insurance companies/patients to put more money in their pockets? btw what if they just cleaned my teeth would they not make much money off of that?
--------------------
Your question is hard to answer. I am a dentist and took my dental school 101 course and it told me do the right thing :) Some dentists don't. However if you have decay or other problems that are serious and you are one who keeps on just getting cleanings and skipping your other appts....then you are not a compliant patient and the dentist can tell you no to the cleaning...good news for you is that you can just switch dentists...bad news for you is that if you do indeed have problems the next dentist will end up doing the same. Now this all assumes there is something wrong which needs fixed and that you can pay for. There are unfortunately those out their who cheat just as there is in any profession. Watch out for those! Finally realize that pain or lack thereof is not a good indicator of need of work...I hear it all the time from patients. Decay doesn't always hurt and it requires most often just a filling....when a tooth really hurts..it's too late and most often you will need more than a filling. Good Luck and yes most of us make enough off of cleanings to pay our staff and our hygienists and other office bills
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment