Monday, May 9, 2011

Why is unemployment less then welfare?

I live in the state of Michigan. I've worked 40+ hours a week for the past 13 years. Why does the person who's never worked a full week of work get more money then me, free health insurance, free dental, help with cost of housing and food stamps. My cost of living is just as high and most of the money I would be getting would be my own taxes that I paid. Shouldn't unemployment be the same amount and also give you the same benefits that someone can get on welfare?
--------------------
Sorry to burst ms little's bubble, but in most cases if you are unemployed you do not qualify for the additional assistance that people on welfare get. The main difference is with unemployment your check is based on a percentage of what you earned. The question is correct though, why if unemployed, must you still PAY for insurance at the rate of the policy you had before you were laid off, pay out of pocket for dental care, plus your own house and food, unless your unemployment rate is below a specific level, which then even with additional assistance you would not be able to pay your mortgage or rent payments. I also live in Michigan, and even now, because I had other means to support myself would not be eligible for many of the services offered to those who never worked, but yet I paid into the system for 25 years, and now have no income as I have not been able to find a job and unemployment has run out. After all this, I still have not applied for anything from welfare, but will soon if the situation in this state does not change soon. So remind me why I would want the government to provide more free (taxpayer) care for people who are able to work and refuse?
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment