Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A difficult procedure and dental school?

Ok so I need to get the following done-- *Adult tooth removal of the canine tooth thats still up in the jaw. Its classified as a "difficult extraction" *Bone graft of where the tooth is removed *Implant *2nd part of implant w/ use of drill stent *and the crown itself. My insurance is barely covering any of the procedure (i want to appeal and see if i can get them to cover more then just the extraction and the crown, its going to cost me just around $3000) but some one also suggested to go to a dental school. There is Case western reserve not too far from me. For what i need to get done i'm nervous about getting it done at a school. Is it safe? Is it students doing the procedures? Theres no prices what-so-ever listed, so is it really anymore cost effective?
--------------------
I had quite a bit of work done at a dental school and my experiece was: it was safe and relatively cheap. The work was done by students who were heavily supervised by professors. Their grades depended on their doing a good job so the students were extremely careful. Students work slower than full-fledged dentists and the supervising profs were checking the work as it progressed, so the procedures did take longer than they would have at a dentist's office. But it was a lot cheaper. Bottom line- if I were strapped for cash and needed work done, I wouldn't hesitate to go to a dental school to get it done.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment