Wednesday, June 15, 2011

We're losing the house, and finally "calling it quits" ... what's the best way to handle the health insurance?

Wife and I have been married almost 11 loooooong years ... she's a "serial cheater" that I can't trust in that respect, so "working it out" is not an option, having FAILED more than once. We're one of the many people that tried to "get in on the housing ROCKET" and bought a house we couldn't afford with an ARM loan in December of 2006 ... JUST before the housing market started falling back to Earth like Skylab! We can't juggle the bills around anymore ... we haven't paid the August payment, and we're heading towards the "foreclosure/short sale" horizon. NOW, TO MY QUESTION: There's ME, my WIFE, and my 9-year-old DAUGHTER. When the bomb drops and we move out of this house and live separately, my wife will most likely have physical custody (a child's natural place is with her mother, I think, unless that mother is a crazy beeyotch ... she's a terrible wife, but a good mother). Should we wait for a while to get the actual "divorce"? Like, if we're just "legally separated" ... can they still be on my health insurance? After a divorce, can my daughter still be covered by my policy at work, or would I have to be able to claim her as a dependent to do this? My wife could get coverage from them from HER work, but in some aspects my coverage is better. Also, I'm covered by HER vision and dental (because that's where MY insurance SUCKS ...) ... and I need a new pair of glasses and a crown to replace a tooth ... should I get this stuff done before the divorce, obviously? Or am I still covered during a "separation"? (we may wait until spring time/next summer to actually "do" the divorce ...
--------------------
Most states don't recognize legal seperation. After the divorce, your wife can't be on your work policy, but she must stay on the policy until the divorce, or open enrollment. Your employer might require you to claim your daughter on your taxes as a dependent, to give her coverage on your policy. You'll have to check with your HR department about that.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment