Saturday, June 11, 2011

Medicaid application question- what to say on forms when you live with boyfriend but he doen't support you?

I'm a 28yo ft student that hasn't made a dime since Jan. I'm taking to way many credit hours to work. I got a little fin. aid and had to take out a student loan. I haven't even gotten the check yet, so I'm dead broke and in debt. It's not such a big deal, I've been broke before, I can do it again. The problem is, I need health and dental insurance. Every independent plan including student plans cost atleast $100 a month, I can't afford that. I've been told I would qualify for medicaid and it's free. But I know they will ask about who I live with and how much he makes. My boyfriend makes good money, but he doesn't support me. I haven't been paying rent but once I get that check he wants me to pay atleast a little. So, what do I say on the forms? If I say I do pay rent, will he have to mention that when he files his taxes? If I say I don't pay, will they he supports me and want to include his income? I truly am broke, can't work, am not being supported and need insurance. what do I say?
--------------------
Just fill out the forms as if you're living by yourself. Leave your boyfriend off the forms. Since you and your bf aren't married, you're considered two seperate households. Even though you both live together and especially, if he doesn't support you. And he doesn't have to worry about the tax issue. You're helping pay the rent, not supplimenting his income. You can say you pay a small portion of the rent or not. If you're really unsure, just call the SRS/Medicaid office and ask. About 10 years ago, I was in a similar situation. My case worker suggested to fill it out this way, as I was the one taking care of myself and my son. Even though I was still living with my parents.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment