Saturday, June 11, 2011

Should I get this tooth pulled?

Here's the gist.. about 8 months ago I had a root canal on a tooth. Because my family lacks dental insurance (ours only covers about half) I put off getting it crowned. Now my tooth hurts, and on the backside of the tooth it is dark, as if there is a cavity but inside the tooth. I've looked up other questions on here and it seems that there could be multiple reasons for this. Now, here is my current situation. I am 22 and have my wisdom teeth coming in, the one on the bottom right is already mostly in, but there is no room for it really. The currently hurting tooth that had the root canal is bottom left. Because my parents (who I am currently dependant on) worry about the expenses, I am scheduled to go have the root canal tooth pulled next week and let the wisdom tooth on the left side grow in. Obviously, the idea of this scares me, I'm worried about if this whole thing will work out or if the wisdom tooth on the right side will cause issues with the sudden gap in my teeth.
--------------------
Root canals can need to be repeated, after a few years. Don't pay attention to the answer before this. If she really is a dental assistant, she would know that. It's also possible that they didn't get all of the nerve/tissue out of the root the first time. That, while not common, has been known to happen. If you have a root that can't clearly be seen on an x-ray, it is likely. Also, when a root canal is done, they remove the nerve and tissue from the root itself, not the surrounding bone and tissue. If you have something else going on around that tooth, it's logical that it would hurt. Talk to the dentist who did the root canal and ask if he or she would be willing to look at it. My dentist does root canal corrections for free.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment