Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Can I wait six months for dental planing and scaling? Or do it now?

I was shocked at the bad check-up. Largest pocket is a 6. Usually they have all been good and my dental self-care has been better than ever. Not even the dentist can explain the rapid change from last year. The problem is, I am tired of spending money on dentistry. I have spent several thousand out of pocket in the last year after an accident required an implant. I stopped counting after $5000. No insurance left for the year and it would be nice to have a vacation instead of sinking more money into my smile. I still owe $1000 for the implant, which I will pay off in the next couple of months.
--------------------
The longer you wait, the more the situation deteriorates. Your self care will not improve the situation. The scaling and rootplaning treats areas you cannot reach with toothbrush, floss, mouthwash, etc. If you had that rapid of a change, I would get my medical doctor involved to find out if there are other reasons at fault. For example, people with diabetes having more dental problems. Also consider your habits. Have you have made dietary changes during the last year? Started drinking sport drinks, etc? It depends what is more important to you on how you spend your money - vacation or keeping your teeth.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment