Tuesday, July 5, 2011

IS it safe to get ALOT of dental work done at once while pregnant?

I have a severe toothache caused from two cavitys that have developed over the past month. I couldnt get work done earlier because I had to wait to get my insurance card. Now it is realy bad and I need to get a crown and I would like a cleaning as well... would it be safe to get all this done in one visit if I am about 7 weeks pregnant? Ive heard its unsafe to get dental work done in the first trimester and that some dentists wont even touch you with out approval from the OBGYN. what about the pain? I know its unsafe to get pain medicine so if I were to have to get a root canal would I just have to suck it up and deal with the pain afterwards?
--------------------
im 26 weeks pregnant and have to get a few fillings and they are giving me Novocain and my doctor sent the dentist a note with what kind of pain meds I can have afterwards because I thought I was going to have to get the teeth pulled and it had Tylenol 3 (which doesnt work for me) Oxycodon and one other type of meds because they all have what Tylenol has in them and they are safe for the baby...usually they dont do dental work in the first trimester because if you havent had any kind of recent dental work they will have to do xrays and they dont like doing them that early...you being in so much pain is alot worse on the baby then if you had dental work done..I would talk to your doctor and tell him how much pain you are in and they will refer you to a dentist who will work on you while being pregnant and they advise you to get your teeth cleaned and worked on because its puts stress on the baby if you are in pain!...hope that helped..and they will give you pain medicine your doctor should send the dentist a list of what he can give you
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment