Thursday, November 11, 2010

where's a good place to go if have cavaties and no dental insurance at the moment?

i'm taking a semester off (enrolled in college but not currently attending) and i just graduated h.s. and my dental insurance cut off my moms plan. They discovered 2 cavities and they i'd like to get them taken care of before i go away to college is there anywhere i could go for cheaper or that would accet paymnet plans at a semi-affordable price?
--------------------
You might see if there is a dental teaching college in your area. They will likely have a clinic and greatly reduced prices. Sometimes you will find even a community college will be able to offer this if they have a dental hygienst program because in training the hygienists they have them work with dentists with real patients. In both cases, there will be waiting lists. It's 1:30 a.m. where I am, so I can't call, but I do happen to know that a dental cleaning at our local CC with a clinic is $25 for an adult. A dentist in my area with a new practice charges $95 for the procedure, so you can see savings can be significant. Not sure where you live, but if you're anywhere close to the border of Mexico, the border towns are filled with dentists and the prices are far less than the US. They are perfectly competent. My parents both had extensive dental work over many years and never had a single problem--and yes, they do speak English. Finally, shop around. Seriously. Yesterday I had a bad crown job from over a decade ago redone and I am paying $500 for the porcelain crown--both visits and crown included. Crowns normally are around $950 out here. That dentist told me that was the average price and I believe him because my brother who lives near me uses a dentist on his "dental plan" and the crowns there are a grand. Even if it's a bit much, DO get it taken care of. Clearly cavities can't heal and bad dental health takes a toll on your entire body. Do also be aware if you're in a place where you just can't get a good rate that the payment plan is WITH THE DENTIST. There's a terrifying BusinessWeek cover story that is primarily about doctors and hospitals, but there is NO reason some dentists wouldn't do the same thing where you end up with a 27% interest "credit card" debt for medical work. See the story here: http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnfl…
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment