Wednesday, February 16, 2011

prices on dental work?

my dentist recently told me that i need to have 2 root canals and caps, any idea on how much something like this is gonna cost me? I have no dental insurance!!
--------------------
I'm a dentist. Fees vary by region and by tooth. Molar root canals typically range from $650 to $1200. My practice charges $950. Premolar root canals can range from $500 to $900 or so. I charge $750. Anteriors (i.e. incisors and canines) are rarely more than $600 or $700. Crowns, depending on the type of crown, vary as well. Porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns as well as all-metal crowns range from $700 to $1200, give or take a couple hundred. All-porcelain crowns (usually used on anterior teeth) can add another $150 to $200. My practice charges $950 for PFMs and $1000 for all-porcelains. Sounds expensive, right? Patients usually gasp when they hear the fees, but they NEVER put it in perspective: To save a badly decayed molar, a patient may spend as much as $2500 (in an expensive area), which is a lot of money up front. Yet, they will very likely keep that tooth another 10 to 20 years. Maybe even longer. Would you be willing to pay $250 a year over 10 years to keep a tooth in your mouth? I sure as hell would. And if that tooth lasts 20 years, the annual cost of keeping it is a mere $125 per year. Sounds a lot more reasonable, doesn't it!
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment