Saturday, May 28, 2011

Should I consider going overseas for dental work?

I went to my dentist and he would charge me thousands for much needed dental work (includes a root canal, a bridge, and dental implants). I'm unemployed and have no insurance. I know people who have gone to South America to get their dental work done for at least half the price of what's charged here in the U.S. Or, should I wait till I get back on my feet (land a full time job with benefits), secure insurance, look for another dentist - I know my dentist will not bend in lowering his fees.. and get the work done here. If I wait for the latter to happen, how long could I go - if you know of some who faces the same dental conditions - without having to see a dentist, without incurring or really increasing my chances of getting ..I don't know..some type of infection, or serious dental decay?
--------------------
As with anything you might want to get that seems cheaper and better overseas,* the cost to go anywhere else beyond a few dozen or so miles, could cost you far more than the item (or, in your case, dental work) is worth. Ask yourself this: If something goes wrong with your current USA dentist, would you go to South America to get it fixed? Of course not! You would go back to the same dentist, explain the problem, and get it fixed, usually without any additional charges. Now consider this: If you go to South America to have the initial work done, and have a problem, would you go back to South America to get it fixed? Of course not, unless you have lots of money, which, I gather, you don't! So, you're far better off "biting" the bullet (pun intended!) and staying close to home. For the record, most dental insurance plans only cover the first $1500 or so of major dental expenses per year, which, for the most part, barely covers one root canal and crown. As such, some dentists carry their own insurance plans, but they are typically expensive. Obviously, you can't go shopping for dentists as you would for a car or washing machine, because each dentist will charge you for the visit. BTW, none of this would be resolved or aided by the new health reform law, just recently passed. However, all dental expenses, as with any medical expenses, are tax deductible, if you itemize and if they exceed your standard tax deduction (currently $5,700 for a single taxpayer), and you'd only benefit a little from it, and, if you did get a refund, you'd have to pay tax on it the following year, so "they" gotcha coming and going! * (South America is not considered "overseas" to anyone in the continental USA)
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment