Saturday, May 28, 2011

Should I use my sick days after submitting my 2 week notice at my job?

I submitted my two week notice on Thursday of last week. I have approximately 6 days of sick days on the books. I have unfinished business with my dental and doctor. I need to take care of it before my insurance ends. I was wondering how I should approach this. Should I just call in sick or should I just be straight up with my boss, telling her about wanting to get the most out of my benefits before they end? Thank you in advance for your answers!!
--------------------
Be straight up and tell your boss that you need to take advantage of the dental/doctor while you have insurance. This may entail that you take time off out of a work day vs taking a sick day, unless you can get both done in 1 day, then tell her that you are taking a sick day to accomplish both. Here is the reason: Say you call in sick for each, going to the doctor one day and one day for the dentist. Now even though you have earned 6 sick days, many companies look at sick days when you are actually sick, not for taking appts with doctors/dentists, which you could take for possibly a few hours off. Even though you have given notice, they could decide if you take these days sick to end your employment on the day you call in sick period, not you final 2 weeks. Here is the kicker, that is when they end your employment, they end your insurance that same day. So say you are terminated today and go to the doctor tomorrow, you have no insurance and will have to pay out of pocket yourself. If you need your insurance to pay for these, you need to be employed to collect. good luck
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment