Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Cancer survivor getting health insurance or life insurance.?

I'm a childhood bone cancer survivor. I had osteosarcoma back in 1992 and had my leg amputated but the cancer never returned and the only issue after is I can't donate blood. I'm Canadian living in the province of Newfoundland. and while Canadian's have most of their health care covered though taxes most medications, private rooms, ambulance services, dental, and other services are not covered by all provinces. ( the big one for me is no coverage of prosthetic limbs) I was covered under my parents health insurance and will continue to be covered until I finish university. I'm also covered partly under my Fiance's work health insurance ( not very much) I'm getting married in 2010 and want to get some extra coverage for myself and any future family. I also want to get life insurance because I want my Fiance and family taken care of should any thing happen. The only other health concern I have is hypothyroidism. but I'm on medication which controls it and it's not serious. Can I get life and health insurance. any experience from other cancer survivors would be appreciated.
--------------------
Congrats on being a 16 year survivor! You may be able to get insurance because you've been cancer free for so long. It will probably end up costing you more, of course, but it isn't necessairly impossible. I know a few people who had cancer 10 years ago, and they were able to obtain life insurance coverage. The best way to obtain coverage (either life or health) is probably through your job. Suggested reading: http://www.kantrowitz.com/cancerpoints/l… http://www.livestrong.org/site/c.khLXK1P… http://www.canceradvocacy.org/resources/… Best of luck to you!
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment