Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Looking for individual/family health insurance in Arizona...?

I am a stay-at-home mom (in Arizona) and I need to get health insurance. My boyfriend (and our toddler) have insurance through his employer but it's like $400/month for just the two of them and it doesn't cover much. To add me to his plan we would have to get married first and it would be over $200/month more than he's already paying now. So that's over $600/month for insurance that doesn't cover much. It doesn't seem like a very good deal at all. So I'm looking for a health insurance plan that would take all three of us as an unmarried family, for less than $600/month. So far I don't see any that cover maternity, and we do want to have another child within the next year or two... We don't get sick often, but our baby needs her regular checkups and vaccinations, we need our regular checkups, vision and dental, and of course catastrophic coverage in the event something really bad were to happen. I don't see much purpose in me having insurance for myself, a young woman, that doesn't cover maternity or birth control, other than for the sake of catastrophic coverage. But if need be I could get my own insurance plan for maternity/birth control/whatever if I could find an affordable one, and they can be on their own plan that doesn't cover maternity. Blue Cross Blue Shield has some cheap rates but they don't cover maternity. Neither does Aetna. Cinergy is too expensive for just me, let alone my family too. So my question(s) to you specifically are: Can you suggest any health insurance companies that cover maternity? Can you suggest any that are affordable? Can you suggest any that would insure us as a family even though we are unwed?
--------------------
I'm an independent agent in AZ and there are several companies, including Blue Cross, that have policies that cover maternity. If they are "affordable" depends on your point of view. The problem you'll find with individual maternity is that the insurance company, if you do the math, is not going to pay out more for your delivery than they receive from you in extra premium. A group policy is different because everyone on the plan, including your toddler, is paying more for your maternity coverage and the employer is probably kicking in quite a bit. Complications of pregnancy are covered even if you don't have maternity. None of the Arizona companies will accept an unmarried couple. Many healthy young people get insurance just for catastrophic occurrences because that will keep the premium lower. They will save the premium difference in the bank for those occasional doctor visits and many women will work with their doctor and hospital to prepay the prenatal visits and delivery.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment