Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Dental procedures at Navy boot camp ?

I really want to join the navy reserves, but I have some serious dental problems. Even though they don't check your dental until boot camp, I'm afraid of being rejected for having serious issues. I have a cleft palate, and six years ago I lost four teeth after a facial reconstructive surgery. My insurance won't pay for a prosthodontist so I couldn't afford to have them replaced. Now I'm having problems with other teeth because of it and I need them pulled and replaced as well. This is all terribly expansive, and would put me into major debt. Otherwise, I'm young and in excellent health. I know the Navy does dental procedures, but this is pretty involved. If anyone has any experience with navy medical or recruiting issues I would really appreciate some feedback.
--------------------
Well actually, they check your teeth at MEPS. The standard is, do you have enough teeth, to be able to eat and chew food. Believe it or not, most recruits, have severe dental problems. If you just have 4 teeth missing, that's not a problem. If your cleft palate has been repaired, then your ok. If it has not been surgically repaired, then that is a disqualify for enlistment. The military doesn't pull teeth, unless it is absolutely no other choice. They will do a root canal and place a crown on them.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment