Tuesday, June 7, 2011

How come my boyfriend pays so much more for health insurance than I do?

My boyfriend and I both just got full-time 40-hours-per-week 9-5 jobs. This is after 5 years of working in bars and restaurants while going to school. After I graduated we both got jobs and 3 months later our employee health insurance kicked in. I've never been covered by an employer before but I was surprised when I learned that it would only cost me about $1/paycheck for health, life, and dental. My boyfriend's health insurance kicked in a little after mine and his costs him $40/paycheck! Why does his cost so much more than mine? We both work for private companies, though mine is a bit bigger than his, neither are extremely big. What's the difference? Is his company just cheap?
--------------------
There are so many variables here. Generally speaking, if you are young, his insurance should be cheaper than yours because you are a woman of childbearing age. It sounds like your employer plays 100% of your premium, whereas his employer only pays a percentage of his. Or he may have better insurance than you do. Do you know what his or your deductibles are or what your co-insurance is? Like my deductible is $500 and my co-insurance is 20% of the final medical bill. Edit: Considering you are both healthy, a young man's health insurance is far cheaper than a woman's so the other posters are wrong about that. But if your boyfriend is on medication or has some sort of disease like diabetes or high blood pressure, then his will be higher. For example, my husband and I are 30, both healthy. His insurance is $90/month and mine is $390/month! Ok, then it sounds like either your employer just pays more (all) of your premium and his only pays a percentage of his. That or his plan is better meaning he could have a much lower deductible and lower co-insurance. It's good that you both have PPOs. His actually isn't that high. You just got an awesome deal. Consider yourself very lucky.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment