Friday, June 24, 2011

Lack of Dental Hygienist Benefits?

I am starting to take the steps to educate myself to become a dental hygienist. As I was reading some answers to various DH posts I noticed one that mentioned the lack of benefits dent. hyg. have. For the most part I am so intrigued by the field of dentistry and orthodontics as I have had this feeling for years but it did make me think for a split second. They mentioned not having sick time, insurance, retirement, etc..to have a good support system if kids are sick..I mean right now that doesn't worry me so much as I am in my 20s and don't have kids. I wonder does it just depend on the dentist you find to work for? Seems that was the only post I saw mention it.. On a side note- I love orthodontics! Are dental hygienists trained to be able to work in those specialty offices or is it only dental offices? Do most orthos only hire dental assistants and not hygienists? Thanks :))
--------------------
1. The benefits offered at any job varies with the office that you choose. So, shop around. 2. Most likely you are NOT going to get benefits like insurance, retirement, etc. at a part-time position. 3. Any full-time position is legally required to offer you sick time, insurance, retirement, etc.. as a benefit package. 4. However, the amount of the sick time and paid time off increases with the length of employment. 5. Most of the jobs do not allow sick days for the first 3 to 6 months of employment (i.e., during the probation period). Working at an ORTHODONTIC PRACTICE can be a benefit because : 6. The pay will be higher because the practice itself will be making more money than an ordinary office :) 7. The cleaning will be easier than doing conventional adult prophy and / or scaling and root planing ("deep cleaning"). So, it won't be too hard on your hands. 8. It will be pleasant, provided you like working with kids / children. Good luck with your job search !!
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment