Sunday, August 14, 2011

Rental $ question, please answer?

My husband and I own a home together and he pays for the mortgage while I pay the utilities/water/internet, cable, and phone. Hub makes about $40k+ more than me and we have separate bank accounts since he doesn't want to have one with me though I've asked him to do this before. Anyway, he recently moved his family in and is renting out a portion of our home to them. They are giving him $1,000 to cover rent, utilities, water, cable, phone, and internet. Understandably, our utility and water bill has gone up since he and I work all day and his relative's wife stays home all day with their son (we are a childless couple). So I asked him to give me $ from the $1,000 he is charging them since the bills have increased significantly and he says no, that the bills haven't increased all that much and that he needs the money for the mortgage. I feel this is totally unfair. Is taht right or am I overreacting? I don't make nearly as much as him and pay my own student loans, car, maintenance, gym fees, insurance, and he's on my dental insurance. He does pay for me when we go out to dinner always and outings to the movies and sometimes a vacation but the last 2 vacations I paid on my own. Advice?
--------------------
He is ripping you off. His family is paying him $1,000 and his costs have not even gone up (the mortgage is the same amount) but yours certainly have. They are using water, electricity, watching TV, using the phone, etc. which is out of your budget.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment