Monday, December 27, 2010

Can I have 2 dental insurance with the same insurance provider?

Hi, I'm currently under my wife's dental insurance plan since her company pays 100%. I went to the dentist last week and my doctor told me that I have to replace my super old crowns and the total cost will be approximately $3,800. So I have to pay almost $2,000 out of my own pocket since my insurance will only pay the first $2,000. However, my co-worker told me that if I have another dental insurance policy through my own company then my extra insurance will cover the rest of the cost. Both my wife's company and my company have Metlife dental insurance plan. Has anyone tried such thing? Or is there some sort of restriction to do such thing depending on the companies? Thanks in advance.
--------------------
Yes you can. Both insurances will pay on the same procedure up to the allowable amount. For example, a filling costs $100. Insurance #1 (Primary - yours) may pay 80% ($80). Insurance #2 (Secondary - Wife's) may pay 80% too but would only pay AFTER primary has paid and will pay the remaining $20. You will probably have deductables for both and will have to pay both. Another thing to consider is that getting a new insurance may have a waiting period for major work such as crowns for a year or so. It may not pay anything.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment