Sunday, February 6, 2011

Health insurance? How can I apply for my own Health/Medical insurance?

So from what I hear, once you're 22 years of age, you're dropped from your parents Health insurance. What i would like to know is how i can apply for my own before then, I am 18 years old and right now i just want to be safe rather than sorry. I know full time jobs have medical insurance, vision, and dental as benefits. But please, someone get this off my shoulders and explain to me how i can apply for my own medical/health insurance before the years fly by and something ends up going wrong. Thank you!
--------------------
First off, the age which you could be dropped will vary by situation and company, and state. Some companies will drop you at 18 if you're not in school while others will let you go until 30 whether you are in school or not. Not all full time jobs have insurance benefits. Some part time jobs do have insurance benefits. Part of the healthcare bill stipulates that all insurance companies in all states must allow adult children to stay on their parent's policy until age 26. This will go into effect when your policy renews after 9/23/10 although some insurance companies have already started as of June 1. How you go about getting your own policy - Visit a local agent that works with all of the major companies in your area. The agent can find the best policy for your situation and budget. They can explain what you get and, more importantly, what you don't get with each policy. There is no extra charge using an agent. You should do this anyway because in most cases an 18 year old can get their own policy much cheaper than being on their parents.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment