Saturday, May 7, 2011

Cost of going to the dentist?

My parents don't have dental insurance, so I can't even remember the last time I had my teeth cleaned. My parents are also a bit old-fashioned and really don't seem to think going to the dentist is very necessary. Now that I'm 18, I am going to make my own appointment to have my teeth cleaned, x-rayed, etc. About how much will it cost without insurance? Also, if I need to have my wisdom teeth out, how much would that cost? I live in New Hampshire, USA, if that makes a difference. Thank you very much for any answers!
--------------------
I would be very leery of the plans that people above are posting. They both link up to a company called Ameriplan and Tony, it seems, is not really who he says he is. This is a multi-level marketing company that doesn't seem to act in your best interest. They offer discounts and shouldn't be confused with insurance. Do some research first and look at the link below of all the Ameriplan complaints from the Rip-Off Report. I wouldn't do it if I were you, it seems like a waste of time and money and the saving they advertize may not be actual. It's not insurance, it's a discount, and this industry operates largely unregulated. If you can't get dental insurance through an employer or school - you can't get it (or at least it's very very difficult). They simply don't want your business unless it's subsidized by a group of people (the people that see the dentist is offset by the people who don't in the group plan - it's all calculated in the insurance company's favor). It wouldn't make sense to get dental insurance by yourself anyway because they know you will use it if you have it, tell me one insurance company willing to pay out more than what you pay in? Your best option is to self insure with your own savings or a pre-tax savings account (FSA, HSA, MSA - there's a lot of different names for it). Essentially, you contribute a portion of every paycheck into a savings account. That money is not taxed by the IRS so the average person saves about 20%. Not bad, but depends on your income and your tax rate. The other thing to do is to just ask around and get quotes, different dentists charge different prices. Universities are also worth checking out if there is a dental school near you. If you don't make that much money you should also check to see if there are any state or city benefits available to you. Take a trip to city hall and ask around or look through their website - there is usually some kind dental relief in the form of low cost clinics (with good, concerned dentists about the lack of health care), low interest loans for dental procedures, or discounts and maybe actual insurance. Taking care of your teeth is very important, good luck to you!
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment