Monday, May 23, 2011

Deducting Uncovered Dental Expenses on Taxes?

I am trying to figure out what can be considered a deduction for uncovered medical and dental expenses. I have read Topic 502 - repeatedly lol and I am still a bit confused. Okay - my husband and I both wear eye glasses - and do not have vision coverage. Can we deduct these costs? We have two children in orthodontic care (see why I need more deductions lol). Can orthodontic care be deducted? We had approximately $600 in uncovered dental expenses (above or beyond scope of insurance coverage). Are these deductible? The "Topic 502" seems to say yes - but I am deathly afraid of making a tax mistake! Help!
--------------------
The items you mentioned are allowable medical deductions as long as they were paid with after tax dollars. In addition you can deduct the after cost of medical, dental and other health insurance as well as .20 cents per mile for driving to and from the doctor. Also the cost of parking to visit a doctor is a deductible medical cost.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment