Thursday, June 23, 2011

Whats the best pet insurance for my dogs?

I live in Brooklyn, N.Y. I have a 5 year old pure bred Rat Terrier male, and a 9 month old Rat Terrier mixed female. The female was recently hit by a car and suffered a fractured pelvis...cost me about $600. This was Truly a wake up call for me. I want to avoid paying so much, and you never know when you are going to have an emergency like this. I'm in college and rent my own apartment with bills galore so I need some affordable insurance for my dogs. I want insurance that covers vet check ups and shots, accident treatments, dental, heart worm, emergency care, meds and things like that. Which insurance would you recommend for my babies??
--------------------
In order to get the kind of insurance you are talking about, you're looking at paying about $600+ a year just in premiums, and that's whether anything happens to your dog or not. It's really not worth it. Most insurance only covers emergency procedures and will not cover any preventable disease. The chances of any of that happening are really pretty slim, but you have to keep paying the premiums problems or not... you will almost always lose in the long run. Your best bet - an emergency fund of money you don't touch that is just for the dogs. Then, if you don't need it, it's still there. When you pay premiums every month, that money is gone for good. What ever you do, don't get VPI. Their pay schedule is a complete joke - they pay next to nothing in benefits.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment