Friday, July 22, 2011

Botox as treatment for TMD?

I am currently experiencing "lockjaw" as a result of years of grinding my teeth. I can fit 2 fingers in my mouth and that's it. My diet and even my speech has been effected by my inability to open my mouth past that 2 fingers' width. I have no dental insurance, but I was wondering if doses of Botox injected into the muscles in my jaw would help to ease the "locked" muscles enough to open my mouth again. Should I talk to a dentist or a plastic surgeon?
--------------------
When I was in college my jaw "locked up" also. I could not even stick a spoon in my mouth. I think I drank everything through a straw for about 2 weeks. They told me to take high doses of motrin every 6 to 8 hours to try to get the inflammation down. I think they even perscribed a muscle relaxer too. It did help a little, but it definately wasn't a quick fix. I don't think botox was popular then so it wasn't an option for me. I would call your dentist first and he should be current with the treatment options and steer you in the right direction. (on the up side, I lost 10 lbs when my jaw locked) Good luck.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment