Sunday, July 17, 2011

Pull out own wisdom tooth?

I never got my wisdom teeth pulled when I was a teen. So now, one wisdom tooth is seriously damaged. It ended up breaking in half and falling out, so now the other half is still intact, but loose. Should I pull it out or leave it there? It didn't hurt when the other half fell out, but now whatever is left is starting to get a little painful. I would go to the Oral Surgeon if I had the money, but I don't. I also don't have any dental insurance. Thanks for your help.
--------------------
Very bad idea! Most of the time when "part" of a tooth comes out, it's only the top part called the crown. Even if you think you can get most of it out, you'll probably leave part of the root deep down, which can lead to a very large infection. Also, wisdom teeth extractions come with plenty of risks: in the upper arch, you risk perforating the sinus and creating a communication between your mouth and sinus if they're not pulled out right, while in the lower arch you can risk touching or tearing your nerve, which may lead to permanent nerve damage and loss of sensation in a large part of your mouth. In short, get it out by a professional. Pulling out adult teeth is nothing like pulling out baby teeth. Adult teeth roots are very big and very solid. Every time I've seen a patient who says they "pulled out their own tooth", they usually don't even realize that there's a huge chunk of diseased and decaying root left. If what's left after they pulled their own tooth is very small and no longer attached to a larger chunk of tooth, it can be a real nightmare to get the remaining pieces out. Trust me, you'd much rather have it done right the first time than have to go to the surgeon to fish around for root tips.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment