Thursday, August 25, 2011

Any way to stop cavities from getting bigger?

I still had 2 cavities that needed to be filled but my dental insurance ran out, it actually ran out before we noticed..and I landed with a $500 bill. So I've pretty much decided I can't go back to the dentist till next year. Is there anything I can do at home beside normal brushing and flossing to help stop the cavities from getting worse, I don't want to go back in a few months and need a root canal. :0/ Thanks PS - I also have a lot of fluoride in my water, which if/when I can afford I'll switch to bottled water, but for now its apparently messing up my teeth (and the fams).
--------------------
No, honey, there is no way to stop a cavity from growing, once it starts. You have to have it filled. If the cavities are small, and you can get back to the dentist soon after the new year starts, it should be okay. Cavities do not usually grow very quickly. But once they are there, there is nothing you can do or take to reverse the process. However, good brushing (2 minutes, twice a day) and flossing (once a day) will certainly help keep you from getting any more cavities, and it may help keep your current ones from becoming painful while you are waiting to have them repaired by the dentist. Since you are doing that already, you are doing pretty much all that you can do. You might also consider using an antiseptic mouthwash. Or you can use plain hydrogen peroxide, which is very inexpensive and is both an antiseptic and a whitener. (If you use hydrogen peroxide, dilute it half-and-half with tap water.) But even without antiseptic mouthwash, you are just going to have to hang in there until you can get professional dental treatment. BTW, I disagree with the other answer that says you can help your cavities by staying away from sugar. It's certainly a good idea to limit your sugar intake. Sugar makes it more likely that you will get additional cavities, but keeping away from it will not stop the cavities you already have. Just brush, floss, and hope for the best. Good luck!!
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment