Thursday, August 25, 2011

Cost of living for single person in upstate NY?

The job I'm going for would pay about $27,000/ year and include health and dental insurance. I am looking at a $700/month apartment in Schenectady, including some utilities. I have a car that is OK on gas (about 25 mpg). I'm pretty average when it comes to buying clothes and entertainment. I am thinking I would probably spend around $200 on food per month, but I am honestly not sure about that. So, I am asking, is there anything else I should take into account? Is this do-able, or should I be looking for a better job?
--------------------
Taxes. Uncle Sam and New York State combined will probably take a 30% bite out of your paycheck, so you should be planning to live on $20,000 of earnings a year. You also need to expand a bit on your car costs-- New York State has compulsory car insurance, so you need to add that as a major expenditure (unless you own your car outright and you are only going for minimum liability coverage). There is also a yearly inspection fee and biannual registration fee with the NYS DMV.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment