Sunday, August 7, 2011

Haven't been to the dentist in over 10 yrs and am scared to go at this point?

When I was younger I went to the densit regularly and had braces for 3 years. Since I've been an adult and off my parent's insurance, I've never had a job with dental insurance. Just this week my husband has received dental insurance, but I have developed an anxiety about going. I know that I will need cavities filled, a root canal and crown and possibly more. My teeth aren't horrible, but I have issues with a few, including one molar that has broken apart. I have gum issues as well. I'm basically embarrassed and ashamed about my teeth. I'm afraid they will judge me as some white trash hillbilly from Appalachia. I get pap smears and eye exams yearly and regular check ups with my MD, I just have neglected my teeth. Anyone have a similar experience or any encouraging words me? Thanks.
--------------------
I work in a dental office and we see people like you all the time. So worry you are not alone. We understand that it is not cheap and that it takes a great sacrifice to come to the dentist. Please go to the dentist before it gets worse. You do not want to end up in dentures or more pain. Sometimes infection can flair up and ruin your whole week! As far as the money goes try care credit and you need to have a consult with your doctor before anything. Your doctor should take x rays and then give you what we call a treatment plan. Here they list everything that needs to be done and the possible treatments. There usually are more than one options! Wisdom teeth should not cost more that 1500 dollars. It is sad that you live so far from a dentist but you need a good dentist that you like. It will be worth a longer drive. They are your teeth and you are going to have them the rest of your life! A few hours will be worth the difference. I hope you can find a dental treatment that will work! :) don't worry they have seen worse teeth than yours and the only reason they remember you when you come in is because they take notes and read them before you get there. They will not judge you. good luck
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment