Sunday, August 7, 2011

Law Suit???

My parents are divorced. By law, my father is supposed to pay child support, have medical and dental insurance, and pay half of any medical bills that is left over after insurance has paid. I am in college, and had a major car wreck this past summer. Because I live in another state than he does, the insurance company sent him a check for payment (the hospital I was sent to was out of the insurance's network) He has pocketed every dime of that money. Totaling in nearly $10,000.00!!! I m stuck paying the bill.s and am a struggling student. I eat Ramen like it's going out of style!!! I can't afford Starbuck's or Wendy's!!! Can I and/or the insurance sue for fraud/ stealing because he cashed those checks and kept the money?? He has also pocketed money on a claim of my younger brother, my brother is in high school and is a minor. Should I contact a lawyer?? I haven't ever gotten a thing from this man, not even a birthday card, and I pay for my college myself.
--------------------
Yes, you should get legal advice. Here's a link to an article called "How to Get Legal Help When You Can't Afford It" http://www.courtreference.com/court-refe… also, usually medical bills do not mess up a person's credit as bad as other types of unpaid debts. Check out the link below for online resources organized by state. In the future, you might want to try taking a copy of the court order with you to the doctor's office and make sure that he is named as the person to send the bill to. The link below also has information about courts in every state that can help you get a copy of the order from the court if you do not have a copy.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment