Sunday, August 7, 2011

What is the best course of action in this situation.?

My friend was on a boat last week and they were all drinking, although my friend wasn't drunk. The owners of the boat (husband and wife) got into an argument and the woman pulled the throttle. The boat suddenly sped off throwing my friend to the ground. She busted her lips, fractured her arms, and three of her front teeth. She is really in a mess. She has medical insurance but no dental insurance. She contacted the owner of the boat to see if she has any insurance on the boat so that she could perhaps make a claim on that insurance. The wife (who was angry that the husband was checking out one of the girls on the boat) told my friend to go to H E double hockey sticks. (1) If this had happened to you, what would you do? (2) What is the best course of action in this case? My friend has the name of the owners of the boat, but doesn't know anything about their insurance company. (3) Does my friend have any recourse? Thanks a bunch!
--------------------
Call a lawyer in your town. I don't know where you live, but it's pretty much against the law everywhere to operate a boat while drinking. The wife could be accused of (intentional) battery, negligence, etc., though I think negligence would be a better way to go. *If* they have insurance on the boat, the policy should cover your friend's injury. If not, your friend could go after the owners directly. (Again, I don't know, but I imagine there's some law about boat insurance where you live.) But, the main thing is, hire a lawyer. Your friend probably won't have to pay him unless she gets money for her injuries. I can guarantee you the insurance company will have a lawyer, and the owners of the boat will have one if your friend tries to get money. And those lawyers will try to screw over your friend by either constantly delaying or trying to give her far less money than she deserves. Lawyers know how to deal with that stuff, and will also know what to do to help prove your case and prove you were injured because of what the wife did. Good luck!
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment