Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Teeth broken off at gumline, need advice on what to do?

Both upper left and right Lateral Incisor's are broken off at the gumline. Root canals were done in both at the age of 15. Both fillings were temporary and fell out by the age of 19. Left was broken off when i was 20, Right when I was 22. I am now 24. I was going to a dentist when I was 22 just before the left one broke off, and at the time she had cleaned out the socket of the right tooth and told me I would probably lose the left too and that I needed to see an oral surgeon. Over the years many things have changed and I am now in the position financially where I can afford to try and prevent and possibly reverse some of the damage. I do my best to try and keep the empty sockets cleaned but I am no dentist. I do brush and floss and use mouthwash very regularly. I would like to know what steps I should take and what will need to be done in order to fix my situation as best as possible. The sockets are not completely empty like I said they broke off at the gums, so there is some shell of a tooth left and it has become irritating because the holes are trying to heal shut and can't therefor the bit of tooth that is left is cutting into the gums and it's starting to hurt. Any advice you can give me would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. I will use this information to help me choose the best dental insurance plan possible; I want it to cover as much as it possibly can. Thanks in advance.
--------------------
Expensive, time consuming and long lasting solution: Dental Implants. I've had one and spent $10,000 and have no regrets. A cheaper solution would to get a bridge, but that means you'll have compromise your other teeth to accommodate it. Either way, you probably lost some bone in the socket areas and wouldn't be surprised if you have some infection. I'd say, to take care of the infections first to make sure your gums and bones are healthy enough to ensure a long life for your new (and current) teeth. Good luck! And be sure to go to more than one dentist to get different advice. Make sure they are part of the American Dental Association. You can verify their membership or search for a dentist at their website: http://www.ada.org/
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment