Monday, March 14, 2011

Dental advice about treatment plan?

I am attempting to overcome a HUGE dental phobia. I've had a consultation, and the dentist has given me a gameplan, which I agree with. I am to get a full upper denture, and partial lower. He is able to save 11 teeth on the bottom, I need 3 fillings and a good cleaning, but that's it. I have fairly good dental insurance, but this is going to be costly, and I cannot afford a lot out of pocket. I am planning to ask that we wait on the bottom partial (which will include 4 extractions). I will basically have to wait for my insurance to reset in January 2011, the rest of the work that is to be done will be covered through 2009 and 2010 benefits. And honestly, my bottom teeth do not cause me any pain or embarrasment. The top teeth are where I have most of my major issues. I realize this is not ideal, but will my dentist argue? In the end, I am the one who has to pay for all of this, so I am hoping he understand that, from my perspective, it is much better to do this when I can afford it, rather than doing nothing at all (which is what I was doing for many years!).
--------------------
Dentists are very used to dealing with this sort of issue. He won't be the least bit surprised or offended if you bring it up for discussion. I just went through a similar issue with my dentist. I could not afford to have everything done this year, and we worked out a plan for what needed to be done now, and what can wait until 2010. It was a good discussion, because his recommendations for what to do first were different from what I would have expected. Anyway, your dentist will be able to give you some guidance. Most people have no dental insurance at all and pay right out of pocket. So this kind of issue comes up all the time. Good luck!!
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment