Monday, March 14, 2011

My dentist wants me to pay up front and have my insurance company reimburse ME?

I just went to the dentist today and had a filling. I have dental insurance, but the dentist wanted payment up front for the services. The receptionist said they require payment in full for the services on the day of service, and then they will send the insurance claim in to the company and eventually I will receive a reimbursement check. Isn't that what INSURANCE IS FOR??? So you DON'T have to pay????? I don't handle the cash in my family, so after much arguing about requiring payment up front, the receptionist agreed to let me walk out withouth paying, but expects me to have my husband pay by tomorrow. It just doesn't seem right that the dentist gets cash up front for the work, and then makes ME wait to get reimbursed by the insurance company... what the heck?
--------------------
If your dentist is not a "Participating Provider" the insurance check from Blue Cross Blue Shield is automatically sent to the subscriber. Most offices work similar to what your dentist does, but usually they require 50% down and the remaining balance at the time of insertion or completion. The insurance cannot be submitted until the work is complete and Blue Cross Blue Shield usually pays within 7 days. They are one of the fastest insurance payors I have ever dealt with. They will not pay for all your procedures at 100% though, so you won't receive a check reimbursing you the entire cost and they usually have a $1500.00 calendar year maximum. Dental insurance is not medical insurance so most offices are similar to the one you are going to. Some offices have these policies because patients have taken the insurance money and never paid for the services rendered. People don't realize how far they are asking their dentist to trust them. In our office if you are an established patient for a couple of years we will allow payment plans, but they are usually only 3-6 months out, anything longer and people tend to forget to pay us and then we end up sending the account to collection.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment