Friday, March 18, 2011

Dental billing issue?

I went to the dentist today to receive an onlay on one of my molars that has a cavity. I was quoted $645 for the procedure. I had the procedure done, went to check out, and was charged $350 more than my quoted price. Apparently, the dentist decided (during the procedure) that a 4-surface onlay was needed rather than a 3-surface onlay. Am I obligated to pay the new price? I signed the quote that I was given for the original price of $645. I can't afford to pay my new balance of $995 right now, and would have waited until I am eligible for dental insurance next year if I had known I would be charged almost $1,000!
--------------------
Sorry this happened to you. The dentist should have told you when he decided he needed to do something different. You should still pay as the dentist did what was needed to be done and things change sometimes once work is started. What they gave you was an estimate for services, not a bill. By the way, even if you got insurance, most would have a waiting period of a year to get anything major done. Still would have cost you the same. If anything, I would just let them know you would appreciate it if they would tell you when they are changing what they are doing as opposed to surprising you at the end.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment