Friday, March 18, 2011

Is it safe to have dental work done when pregnant?

I'm not right now, but I miscarried 2 weeks ago, and I hear that you're very fertile after miscarry-ing (not to mention, now I at LEAST know that I can conceive, so hopefully soon) Problem is, I have a lot of dental work to take care of. Several cavities.. I just haven't had the time to mess with it, although I REALLY should while my husband is in the military and we have great dental insurance (up until next June anyways!) So, I was wondering, If I DO get pregnant again soon, is it safe to continue dental care? I'm hoping to get the X-Ray's out of the way before there is a chance of pregnancy, but as far as the actual work goes... is that ok? Usually, they just give you the local anesthesia (the numbing shot) Although, I have a fear of needles, ESPECIALLY when they're in my mouth, and it really worries me... so I generally use the happy gas (nitrous oxide). Is THAT safe? if not, I can go through it without it if for nothing but for the sake of the baby (that is if I am LUCKY enough to be pregnant again soon!) Thanks!
--------------------
It is very important to have a healthy mouth before pregnancy....You really need to plan to have necessary work done before, as you can NOT have nitrous while pregnant, (or trying)..... I would advise you to talk to your dentist soon about treatment planning around this, and getting things done to stabilize yourself to last the 9 months..... Please do some reading below:
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment