Saturday, March 19, 2011

Where can I get free or affordable dental work (long story)?

I am twenty years old and unfortunately, have never been to a dentist. My parents could not afford dental insurance and sadly, my teeth have suffered. I was never taught proper dental care (I didn't know you were supposed to floss daily) and only brushed once in the morning. My two front teeth have a cavity between them, so large that it has created a very ugly, uneven gap. The two lateral incisors have basically almost completely rotted away and there are cavities forming in the incisors next to those as well. Two molars in the back have completely rotted, leaving only large brown holes in my gums. The saddest part about this is that I was voted "Best Smile" in elementary school. : [ What's even worse is that my wisdom teeth are about to come in. I can feel it. I have done much research on the procedures that I will need done. For example, I know I will need extractions on my four front teeth, a root canal on two of my molars, fillings in probably 8 teeth, crowns on a few others, and I would like to get implants in the four teeth that are extracted. All of this, based on my research, would cost $20,000 or more. I did the calculations to be safe. I have CareSource but they do not cover more than two dentist appointments a year unless you have a certain condition and they stop covering cosmetic procedures after you turn 21 (I'm not sure as to why, it's all pretty messed up). Are there any places in Ohio that are offering smile makeover contests, free dental procedures at dental schools, or any other things of the sort? I really need this fixed before June 2010 as I am supposed to get married.
--------------------
I would use one of those 2 yearly appointments and get to the dentist ASAP. At the very least you can get a thorough cleaning and even set up an appointment to take care of any manageable problems (which can quickly turn into big, expensive problems). You also can get recommendations on what your teeth need, which you can then turn into your insurance to see how much might be covered. There's no sense in trying to find other sources of dental work until you find out what your insurance and dentist can do for you.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment