Sunday, May 1, 2011

How to negotiate dental fees?

I asked this question earlier this month and the answers went into voting before I got a chance to thank the people who helped me with their replies. I wanted to let you know the outcome to my situation. To summarize my original question: My dentist stated I needed a porcelain crown that would cost $1900. I asked if there were any alternatives, and he said no because the silver amalgam was leaking. My insurance would cover $390. The office manager said I should not delay too long to get the crown done or else I could end up needing a root canal. I decided to look for more affordable dental treatments, and considered the dental school where the crown would cost $780. I asked for a copy of the x-rays, and the office manager at the dentist's office seemed upset and asked me if I was going for a second opinion, and also didn't want to give me the copy, but to directly send the x-rays to the second dentist. I told her I didn't have a second dentist set up yet.
--------------------
I'm glad to hear of your good result. Unfortunately there is a minority of dentists who are more driven by profit than ethics. And this is the same for ANY occupation. I'll share my experience some years ago of signing up with a dental management team. Altho some of their ideas were very useful for organising my practice, their treatment ethos was rapacious. I have a colleague who has used the same team and embraced all their techniques. He has turned into an unscrupulous, money-mad scumbag. He also has aggressive front-desk techniques. Thank you for sharing your experiences here with everyone. Not every dentist is like your original fellow. When looking for a dentist, always ask for recommendations from relatives and freinds; don't be afraid to ask questions; don't be afraid to seek second opinions. Best wishes.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment