Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Iowa common law marriage for insurance?

ok, so I have been seeing my boyfriend for a year and a half, we have living together for almost a year. I have been in and out of dental surgeries all week and will be needing more in the future but I am not working and have no insurance. My boyfriend is eligible through his work within the next few weeks. They recognize common law marriage and I can be covered in his insurance if we go that route. His mother opened her mouth last night when he brought this up and now he is concerned about us actually being married based on me getting insurance with his. We only want to have us both under his insurance, not doing taxes together or anything of the nature. So does that make it a real marriage based on that? How should we go about this without any worries?
--------------------
Iowa: The requirements for a common-law marriage are: (1) intent and agreement to be married; (2) continuous cohabitation; and (3) public declarations that the parties are husband and wife.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment