Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Bridges vs. partial dentures - thoughts?

My dad lives near Memphis, TN. I've noticed that he has trouble eating because of tooth pain. My brother says that my dad needs a new bridge or partial dentures. I'm trying to look into this procedure to decide which would be more cost effective (he doesn't have dental insurance) and I can't find ANY information about this. Does anyone have any idea how the costs compares between bridges and partial dentures?
--------------------
I'm not certain of the exact costs of a bridge or a partial as they vary from dentist to dentist and the area in which you live. I'm having a lot of problems with my teeth right now and a partial is my best, most cost effective option. When they put in a bridge, they have to "shave" off part of the crown on the two healthy teeth on either side of where the bridge will be placed, this usually results in getting a root canal and crown to save those teeth, which have to be fixed every 5-10 years. A bridge, depending on the size, can easily cost up to, if not more, than $2,000. A partial CAN be considerably less, depending on the dentist. If your Dad is older and doesn't mind getting a partial denture, that might be the way to go. That way, he never has to worry about having to get those teeth fixed again, and if the opportunity presents itself in the future, he can have dental implants, although those are very expensive. Getting a partial or full denture can be very mentally taxing because we're concerned about our looks and how people will react. Today's partials are much more realistic looking and can be made to match the teeth and can even have imperfections if the patient wants them, to take away from that "fake" look that the old dentures had. There are a lot of websites out there that can explain both procedures and some even offer a rough estimate of what they cost. I don't have dental insurance either, but there are options for people like us. If his local Health Department has a dental clinic, they have discounted prices, so he can at least get his x-rays, exam, and consultation for a lowered price. You can also look into dental schools in the area. They offer their services at 2/3 the cost of the private sector. And then there are free dental clinics, but they're hard to find. I lucked out and found out about one in my area today. I arrived at 5:45 am and there were already 100 people in line, so it took me 7 hours to finish up, but then again, I also received $1,000 in dental work for absolutely free, so it was well worth the wait.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment