Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Can you compare these two health insurance plans?

I'm going to be a college freshman, and I'm considering whether or not I should opt for my school's comprehensive (but extremely expensive) health insurance plan or stick with my current Blue Cross (Anthem?) plan. Here are the details: Option one is the 3500 PPO plan from Anthem. The premium is $73/mo or just under $900 a year. Like the name suggests, the deductible is $3500 and I supposedly pay nothing after that. http://www.individualhealth.com/bluecross/bcc3500.htm Option two is called "Cardinal Care" through the university. It i a whopping $800/qtr, or $3200/yr. However, the benefits are great and the coverage is very comprehensive. $10 co-pay, and $200 deductible and I pay 20% of costs after that. http://www.stanford.edu/group/vaden/insurance/cardinalcare.html Which plan should I opt for? My family might sign up with me if I go for the Anthem one which would decrease the deductible per person. I also don't go to the hospital/doctor very much, but I would like dental/eye benefits. I also pay a health service fee to my school which covers basic medical needs such as medical advice, weekday appointments, urgent care, etc. Thanks!
--------------------
Since you are young and healthy, I would opt for the Anthem plan. The Cardinal Care Plan sounds good if you go to the doctor all the time and have health problems. The Anthem plan would be good in the event of an emergency, for example, you need emergency surgery, etc...And your family will benefit also. If you also pay a health service fee for the "basics", that's great, too! There really isn't a need for you to spend so much money on premiums if you are relatively healthy. Sounds like you did a good job gathering information! Good luck to you at school!
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment