Thursday, July 7, 2011

Dental implant referral appointment?

My dentist extracted a tooth about a month and a half ago. He said I would probably be ready for an implant 2-3 months after the extraction and I could contact him for a referral at that time. It seems like a waste to go back to my dentist for an appointment to get referred. My insurance does not require a referral and I'm not sure they will cover the "referral appointment". I imagine the oral surgeon will want to take his own x-rays even if my dentist takes them at this appointment.. Is it practical to have a "referral appointment" in this circumstance?
--------------------
Did your dentist actually say he wanted to see you for an appointment or did he say to contact him in that time for the referral? I see a big difference. Even if your insurance doesn't require a referral the surgeon probably does. My office does. If it were me, I would call my dentist office and ask for clarification. Does he need to see me? If so, is he taking an x-ray? Will the surgeon be able to use that xray? Will there be a charge for this appointment? I'm sure they are familiar with these kinds of questions on a daily basis. Hope this helps! Good luck with your implant!
Source

1 comment: