Thursday, July 7, 2011

What am I going to do about health insurance?! I need to see a doctor.?

So I have been working at my job for about 4 months now. It is a really good job but the bad news is I'm still considered part time although I can end up working 70+ hours in 2 weeks if I cover for some people that are out of the office. So what does that mean? You guessed it...I don't get any health insurance! I am a 24 year old, single woman with no children and no major health problems (that I know of). I live in New York City and here you have to make under $8,000/yr or under $680/month to qualify for Medicaid. I make too much and I can't really afford to go to Healthy NY (which they say is an alternate if you don't qualify for Medicaid but can't afford individual health insurance). The lowest I would be paying there is $218 a month and $267 for HIP which is what I really want. But the kicker is this...I wouldn't even get dental or vision! If I didn't have a job I could go apply for Medicaid and get the works but I work hard and still don't make enough and get jipped! I also tried going to that free medical place but after meeting with a social worker she sent me to Healthy NY again when I already told her I couldn't afford that. I haven't been to the doctor in so long and of course I feel fine. But I need a physical and to see a dentist just for my own peace of mind. I have also started to feel a lump at the back of my head off to the left. It doesn't hurt but I'm not sure what it is. I have had a cyst before and I was thinking that's what it was but I'm no doctor. Are there any places that I can just go get a physical and pay cash for it or get a free physical without having to meet with a social worker and all that mess that ultimately puts me back at square one? Thanks for your help all and have a Happy New Year!
--------------------
keshawna m, Health insurance can be very tricky. Since I live in Vermont I'm not sure about New York regulations, so I recommend you contact a local insurance agent. http://www.americaschoicetoday.com/Health-Insurance.html They should be able to assist you.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment