Tuesday, November 2, 2010

How to have inexpensive dental work done w/o insurance!?

I'm in college, my parents are about as broke as I am, and we no longer have medical or dental insurance. I am currently unemployed due to a layoff, and didn't have those benefits anyway. My wisdom teeth are definitely starting to emerge, and I feel as if any day now they're gonna pop up and I won't have the $500 per tooth to take care of this. Please, if anyone knows of resources in Orlando, I'll love you forever.
--------------------
Well a dental hygienist school will usually do cheap if not free dental cleaning and exams. Unfortunately they can't do much about wisdom tooth extraction, but I would suggest you go in and get a regular cleaning and x-rays and ask them about the wisdom teeth and they may be able to point you in the direction of a clinic that works with uninsured and low-income patients, that CAN do something about it. Just because your wisdom teeth might be coming in, that doesn't mean they will need to be extracted. As they're coming through the gums, you will feel discomfort, as you would with any tooth, but if your mouth is large enough they may just come in and be fine. Now, a problem emerges if the tooth becomes impacted, infected, doesn't come through entirely, or begins to crowd the mouth. That would be cause for extraction, but who knows....you might not need to do anything (unless you're in severe pain now). So I suggest you find a hygienist school and have a cleaning and x-rays first and go from there.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment